PDA

View Full Version : Australian Catch-up TV via Android

Armacdee
07-26-2013, 05:37 AM
I am new to Android and have just installed an Android TV-stick. While I can access many sites and features through the browser and XBMC, I have had very little success accessing the Australian Catch-up TV sites through this device. Browser access through my PC is fine.
I can't locate working XBMC Add-ons for these sites and browser access (standard browser and Google Chrome) either won't play video, or fails with a message stating "not yet supported for my device type".
Can anyone guide me to working XBMC Add-ins for these sites?
Is there a compatible Android browser that will appear like a standard PC connection to these sites and support the protocols and video codecs required?

01tv
07-26-2013, 07:06 PM
All those catchup services use flash player which should be supported on your android (depending on version). However some catchup networks can detect if your outputting to a tv and stop it. So we need to know more details about your stick and the version of android running..

ben10
07-26-2013, 07:18 PM
Im not sure about the technical side of things but a quick tip to make these sites work is goto the catch-up tv website then click in the top menu and mark the request desktop site button. Then your android will load the normal webpage rather than a mobile version.

delbutty
07-26-2013, 07:23 PM
It looks like your device does not support flash player yet, you can try installing mx player app for android and see if that helps.

Armacdee
07-26-2013, 11:38 PM
Thanks 01tv, ben10 and delbutty for your replies, they are all well appreciated.
My device is a Minix Neo G4 running 4.1.1.
I installed Firefox and Flash yesterday while trying to sort this out. It resulted in access to some of the sites, but not all, so I suspect 01tv's comments to be spot-on.
I'm pretty sure I have mx-player loaded and it didn't help, but will double check that and report back.
Is anyone able to point me to working XBMC add-on's for these sites, as it is a more intuitive interface for my wife to use rather than selecting browser bookmarks or favourites.

Armacdee
07-28-2013, 04:16 AM
Thanks 01tv, ben10 and delbutty for your replies, they are all well appreciated.
My device is a Minix Neo G4 running 4.1.1.
I installed Firefox and Flash yesterday while trying to sort this out. It resulted in access to some of the sites, but not all, so I suspect 01tv's comments to be spot-on.
I'm pretty sure I have mx-player loaded and it didn't help, but will double check that and report back.
Is anyone able to point me to working XBMC add-on's for these sites, as it is a more intuitive interface for my wife to use rather than selecting browser bookmarks or favourites.

Just confirming that I am using MX-Player.
The Plus7 station provides an error message stating "This protected content cannot be played on this mobile platform" when I try to play content, some other stations just fail to play.
XBMC add-on's:
ABC iView V1.3.1 - Displays message "External player active, Click OK when ended", but no video displayed.
SBS2 Works fine.
Plus-7 V1.1 Displays "Script failed plugin.video.plus7" when any video is selected.
Network 10 Catchup-TV V0.4.0 Displays "Script error plugin.video.catchuptv.com.ten" and fails to load site.

admin
07-28-2013, 12:05 PM
Hi,

I cant be specific about australian plugins as im not in australia. but as general the "Plus7" problem seems to be drm protection rather than plugin error. Im not sure about the ABC iView error as i have not experienced that error. Script failed can usually be cured by waiting for xbmc to update the plugins before attempting to play anything bottom right of xbmc a little rectangle displays various plusing updating...

Armacdee
07-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Thanks Admin, That bottom right corner box is where the script error messages are appearing.

ben10
07-29-2013, 08:07 PM
Im not sure about the technical side of things but a quick tip to make these sites work is goto the catch-up tv website then click in the top menu and mark the request desktop site button. Then your android will load the normal webpage rather than a mobile version.

Did you try this? As i said your catchup tv apps can detect you are outputting to a TV and refuse to play. Try going to the website rather than running an app, then from the dropdown menu, requesting desktop site, then it may work..

Armacdee
07-30-2013, 10:13 PM
Did you try this? As i said your catchup tv apps can detect you are outputting to a TV and refuse to play. Try going to the website rather than running an app, then from the dropdown menu, requesting desktop site, then it may work..

Sorry for the delay everyone, I have been trying several things simultaneously, which is never a good idea as you only confuse the root cause analysis.
Ben10, yes I tried your suggestion and it has helped with at least one site, but not all. I have also had a little success with the XBMC addons.
01TV, I provided my stick brand and model and Android OS version in the earlier post, is there something else specifically that I should supply? The XBMC version is Frodo 12.1 XAF Neon. One recommendation provided to me for one of the addon errors, was to load V12.2, however there is no XAF custom built release of that at XBMCAndroid.com yet and so it is unlikely to support the hardware decoding of my device.
I will provide a detailed status update later today of what now works and the symptoms of what doesn't using browser access and XBMC access.

admin
07-31-2013, 08:26 AM
Hi, Glad you have had some success there, its always better to load the latest version of xbmc if possible. Does xbmc official website not have the latest version for android? It seems a common problem with xbmc not supporting hardware decoding with a lot of android devices, although they are increasing support.

Armacdee
07-31-2013, 10:16 PM
Well it looks like I need to start over with the browser testing. I have just realised that the Flash on my Firefox disabled itself at some stage due to performance issues, so that will explain some of my issues.
As for XBMC access.
SBS On Demand – SBS2 by Dennis 1.0.12 Works well.
ABC iView – ABC iView2 boggob 1.0.5 Works well.
Plus7 – Plus7-2 Dennis 0.0.7 Error Sript failed plugin.video.plus72 when a video is selected.
Plus7 – Plus7 andybotting 1.1 Same symptoms as above. I contacted addon author who confirmed the site has implemented changes and so a rewrite is pending.
NineMSN –Cannot locate any addon for this.
Network Ten – adammwill 0.4.0 Works on PC version but not on Android. Script error when addon is selected – Contacted addon author who analysed my logfile and found nothing. He suggested loading XBMC 12.2 in case it is an issue that was resolved in that update, but cannot find an XAF Neon version of 12.2 yet that will match my hardware acceleration.
AFL Video – andybotting 1.1 Works well and provides more content than web page.

admin
08-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Im not sure about the Australian apps but if you try xbmc addon navi-x as this has a lot of tv shows and channels, maybe that will help.

ben10
08-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Sounds like way too much hassle, why dont you just connect a PC using a HDMI cable to your TV and then you can run them all!!?

shafty
08-01-2013, 09:06 PM
I agree with admin. Just load up XBMC, run Navi-X and just use the search button to find the channel, show or movie you want. Alternatively you can use one of the android apps that airplay content and send it from a phone or tablet to the android stick running xbmb.

Sidsnot
08-01-2013, 09:09 PM
This is the inherent problem with watching online TV. Non working websites, unable to find the show or movie you want from a legitimate site. And even when you find something that works it decides to not run smoothly and keeps buffering.

My solution is to just download what i want to watch from torrent sites and then watch it from my hard drive.

django
08-01-2013, 09:12 PM
Word of advice, if you do get it working dont watch the ashes

Armacdee
08-02-2013, 12:08 AM
Thanks everyone, I'm not sure where to start.
Firstly, the reason I am going to these lengths is that my wife and I may be required by my work to relocate to Germany for several months. In that case it would be most beneficial to have a very portable media server that would enable her to maintain access to all the Australian shows and content she currently enjoys, thus reducing the risk of homesickness etc. We don't speak German, so their TV won't be that helpful. It will just require me to set up a proxy through my home. The main commercial channels are 7, 9 and 10, of which none are working through XBMC.
You can probably now see now that several of your kind suggestions are in this case impractical.
Sadly, I agree with the ashes advice. Better luck next time I guess.
As for Navi-X, it was found to be problematic with the XAF version of XBMC. I tried it and it locks up intermittently; however Mashup is fine as an alternative.
Now for a status update on Browser access:
Using Firefox with Flash installed and configured to request Desktop site.
SBS On Demand - Working, but clumsy user interface requiring you to select videos to add to your play list, then select to play them.
ABC iView - Screen loads as if massively zoomed and cannot reduce size. Intermittently locks up browser
Plus7 - Can browse site, but when a video is selected, I get a message “This protected content cannot be played on this mobile platform”
NineMSN - Works, but video and audio out of synch.
Network Ten - Works fine. Yay!
AFL Video - Also works fine.

django
08-03-2013, 02:07 PM
I think your problem is easier solved by either running a PC through an Aussie proxy so you can access catch-up channels just like you would down under, also i know you can access the Sky satellite network in Europe including Germany which opens up the whole worl of English TV that is full of Aussie shows anyway. Trying to run everything through an android stick or box will always be hit and miss. Good luck.

mikem
03-29-2014, 03:32 AM
Well it looks like I need to start over with the browser testing. I have just realised that the Flash on my Firefox disabled itself at some stage due to performance issues, so that will explain some of my issues.
As for XBMC access.
SBS On Demand – SBS2 by Dennis 1.0.12 Works well.
ABC iView – ABC iView2 boggob 1.0.5 Works well.
Plus7 – Plus7-2 Dennis 0.0.7 Error Sript failed plugin.video.plus72 when a video is selected.
Plus7 – Plus7 andybotting 1.1 Same symptoms as above. I contacted addon author who confirmed the site has implemented changes and so a rewrite is pending.
NineMSN –Cannot locate any addon for this.
Network Ten – adammwill 0.4.0 Works on PC version but not on Android. Script error when addon is selected – Contacted addon author who analysed my logfile and found nothing. He suggested loading XBMC 12.2 in case it is an issue that was resolved in that update, but cannot find an XAF Neon version of 12.2 yet that will match my hardware acceleration.
AFL Video – andybotting 1.1 Works well and provides more content than web page.

Please let me know where I can get the addon SBS On Demand – SBS2 by Dennis 1.0.12 tks