PDA

View Full Version : Pirating online movies falling. Thanks to online streaming free/cheap?

admin
01-02-2012, 03:11 PM
So the news from torrenfreak is that for the year 2011, movie piracy has actually fallen (http://www.worldtvpc.com/blog/2011-sees-pirate-movies-drop/).

For 2011, the most pirated movie downloaded from torrent and P2P sites was Fast & the Furious sequel Fast Five with 9.2 million pirated downloads

Compare that to 2010 where Avatar had 16 million plus illegal downloads.

So is it thanks to being able to access content online free on catch-up and sites such as Hulu or maybe thanks to cheap streaming from Lovefilm and Netflix?

shafty
01-02-2012, 08:32 PM
I think it all comes down to a risk/reward ratio. Is the risk of viruses, getting caught, tieing up your broadband for hours or days worth getting the lo-quality movie for free?

Or can you buy/stream the same thing legally for a price that makes the former option not worth the risk.

I think $8 per month for Netflix or Hulu is good value but of course you do not get the latest content. Or you pay stupid money to buy from iTunes. Price movies for $2-$5 and i would buy every time.

tankjeff
02-03-2012, 04:41 PM
That's why the film industry is going down the drain. Some of the new movies that come out are not even good because of the money they are losing through piracy. I understand that when people think of the internet, they can manipulate their ways to find free stuff, especially free movies online, but are you really getting the best quality? Besides, it doesn't cost a arm and leg to pay for an online movies compared to buying movies on cable in the past.

admin
02-09-2012, 07:44 PM
That's why the film industry is going down the drain. Some of the new movies that come out are not even good because of the money they are losing through piracy. I understand that when people think of the internet, they can manipulate their ways to find free stuff, especially free movies online, but are you really getting the best quality? Besides, it doesn't cost a arm and leg to pay for an online movies compared to buying movies on cable in the past.

The thing is that the movie industry still makes millions even with piracy. Piracy has always been with us and it always will be. The movie industries problem is that they are too damn greedy. If they let everyone download a movie for a couple of bucks then piracy would be eliminated and they would still make millions. We could face paying high movie fees when we get a nice DVD and case, maybe an extra features disc even. But to charge just as much for a digital download!!?? This is why piracy is so high imo.

US TV
02-10-2012, 06:56 PM
I think that slowly but surely, the web is getting moderated and all the illegal sites will be shut down. But they will never be able to close em all down. And anything hosted in non-US friendly countries can be accessed as well. Unless they start blocking our access to certain websites just like China does..

epicmusic84
02-24-2012, 01:01 AM
I agree that more people are paying small fees to watch tv instead of downloading pirated content.

gazza
02-25-2012, 08:06 AM
I think they are slowly taking away the freedom of the internet, when it first launched it was all ment to be free and open, now big brother is watching all the time. It is a bit like the UK government eroding all our freedom.

TVman
06-11-2012, 03:28 PM
I will always download from torrents. Too many shit movies to pay for them all. After all, can i get a refund for my hard earned dollars when the movie i paid for sucks ass?

rambof07
10-05-2012, 03:59 PM
Piracy these days is reaching its peak. Piracy not only motivate people to indulge in crime but many producers are going under huge losses due to piracy. The better way to compete with piracy is to watch online movies is a great fun where you get number of movies at cheap or no price.