PDA

View Full Version : TVCatchup court case... Are they going down?

shafty
12-11-2010, 05:08 PM
I have been following this website and the resulting case thats due to be heard early next year.

ITV, Channels 4 and Five have issued joint legal proceedings against the restreaming website TVCatchup and have said in a statement:-

“TVCatchup do not have a content distribution agreement in place to stream content from any of our channels. We reserve the right to pursue any site or service we believe to be infringing our copyright or using our content in an unlicensed, illegal capacity.”
The website say that they can re-stream UK public service channels because they qualify as cable operators, and are therefore allowed to re-stream the channels under section 73 of the Copyright, Designs & Patents Act.

The question is though, can a simple website like this really beat the big networks who are trying to take it down, i mean it has no chance surely...?

bob
12-11-2010, 09:50 PM
Not sure really what will happen but i remember reading somewhere that they use a bunch of computers where each one has a satellite card or someting similar attached and each one is set up to recieve a tv channel and is then sent on to the website as a stream. Not sure if its tru though.

bob
12-13-2010, 08:09 PM
I cannot see Big TV companies letting some puny company like tvcatchup basically steal their streams and make advertising money from it. I mean, the networks are stopping Google TV so nobody is gonna beat them.

nope321
12-15-2010, 09:06 PM
i think they are not going down because the site owner is lawyer.

angleblue63
09-27-2012, 10:43 AM
The Main networks of BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Five all have their catch up tv on demand websites. See a full list of UK catch up tv sites and let us know if you find anymore.