Thread: How to rip Bluray discs onto PC

How to rip Bluray discs onto PC

Hi

I see you have a how to rip DVD's thread but there is nothing specific to Blu-ray discs so i thought i'd add one.

So you will obviously need a Blu-Ray Drive hooked up to your PC, a decent amount of hard drive space. Software wise you will need MakeMKV for ripping.Its free and the easiest blu-ray ripper to use. Also you will need the free Handbrake to encode the file into a file you can run on your PC or mobile.

When you first rip your Bluray into an MKV file it will be huge, around 30-60 GB if it's 1080p HD

So once your disc is in the drive, fire up MakeMKV and press the "Open Disc" button which will list up the chapters on your screen. The movie will be the biggest file. Then uncheck the other boxes. Select folder to save to and press the "Make MKV" button. After about 30 minutes you will have your MKV file saved.

Now it's time to encode using Handbrake and choose the size and resolution you want. There are many guides to using handbrake but i save in 720p to save space and i cant tell the difference between that and 1080p (but the hard drive notices because its a much smaller file). I save my files as mp4 just so i can run them on my Apple devices and PC.

And thats it. Now you can transfer all your Blurays onto computer, mobile phone and tablet and start streaming them using xbmc or similar.

Thanks for the instructions and you can see a more in-depth guide right here.
    Live Long, watch TV and prosper