Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australian Catch-up TV via Android

Australian Catch-up TV via Android

I am new to Android and have just installed an Android TV-stick. While I can access many sites and features through the browser and XBMC, I have had very little success accessing the Australian Catch-up TV sites through this device. Browser access through my PC is fine.
    I can't locate working XBMC Add-ons for these sites and browser access (standard browser and Google Chrome) either won't play video, or fails with a message stating "not yet supported for my device type".
    Can anyone guide me to working XBMC Add-ins for these sites?
    Is there a compatible Android browser that will appear like a standard PC connection to these sites and support the protocols and video codecs required?

All those catchup services use flash player which should be supported on your android (depending on version). However some catchup networks can detect if your outputting to a tv and stop it. So we need to know more details about your stick and the version of android running..

Im not sure about the technical side of things but a quick tip to make these sites work is goto the catch-up tv website then click in the top menu and mark the request desktop site button. Then your android will load the normal webpage rather than a mobile version.

It looks like your device does not support flash player yet, you can try installing mx player app for android and see if that helps.

Thanks 01tv, ben10 and delbutty for your replies, they are all well appreciated.
    My device is a Minix Neo G4 running 4.1.1.
    I installed Firefox and Flash yesterday while trying to sort this out. It resulted in access to some of the sites, but not all, so I suspect 01tv's comments to be spot-on.
    I'm pretty sure I have mx-player loaded and it didn't help, but will double check that and report back.
    Is anyone able to point me to working XBMC add-on's for these sites, as it is a more intuitive interface for my wife to use rather than selecting browser bookmarks or favourites.

Update

Quote Originally Posted by Armacdee View Post
    Thanks 01tv, ben10 and delbutty for your replies, they are all well appreciated.
    My device is a Minix Neo G4 running 4.1.1.
    I installed Firefox and Flash yesterday while trying to sort this out. It resulted in access to some of the sites, but not all, so I suspect 01tv's comments to be spot-on.
    I'm pretty sure I have mx-player loaded and it didn't help, but will double check that and report back.
    Is anyone able to point me to working XBMC add-on's for these sites, as it is a more intuitive interface for my wife to use rather than selecting browser bookmarks or favourites.
    Just confirming that I am using MX-Player.
    The Plus7 station provides an error message stating "This protected content cannot be played on this mobile platform" when I try to play content, some other stations just fail to play.
    XBMC add-on's:
    ABC iView V1.3.1 - Displays message "External player active, Click OK when ended", but no video displayed.
    SBS2 Works fine.
    Plus-7 V1.1 Displays "Script failed plugin.video.plus7" when any video is selected.
    Network 10 Catchup-TV V0.4.0 Displays "Script error plugin.video.catchuptv.com.ten" and fails to load site.

Hi,

I cant be specific about australian plugins as im not in australia. but as general the "Plus7" problem seems to be drm protection rather than plugin error. Im not sure about the ABC iView error as i have not experienced that error. Script failed can usually be cured by waiting for xbmc to update the plugins before attempting to play anything bottom right of xbmc a little rectangle displays various plusing updating...
    Live Long, watch TV and prosper

Thanks Admin, That bottom right corner box is where the script error messages are appearing.

Quote Originally Posted by ben10 View Post
    Im not sure about the technical side of things but a quick tip to make these sites work is goto the catch-up tv website then click in the top menu and mark the request desktop site button. Then your android will load the normal webpage rather than a mobile version.
    Did you try this? As i said your catchup tv apps can detect you are outputting to a TV and refuse to play. Try going to the website rather than running an app, then from the dropdown menu, requesting desktop site, then it may work..

Quote Originally Posted by ben10 View Post
    Did you try this? As i said your catchup tv apps can detect you are outputting to a TV and refuse to play. Try going to the website rather than running an app, then from the dropdown menu, requesting desktop site, then it may work..
    Sorry for the delay everyone, I have been trying several things simultaneously, which is never a good idea as you only confuse the root cause analysis.
    Ben10, yes I tried your suggestion and it has helped with at least one site, but not all. I have also had a little success with the XBMC addons.
    01TV, I provided my stick brand and model and Android OS version in the earlier post, is there something else specifically that I should supply? The XBMC version is Frodo 12.1 XAF Neon. One recommendation provided to me for one of the addon errors, was to load V12.2, however there is no XAF custom built release of that at XBMCAndroid.com yet and so it is unlikely to support the hardware decoding of my device.
    I will provide a detailed status update later today of what now works and the symptoms of what doesn't using browser access and XBMC access.