Thread: Is a Smart TV different to a normal set?

Is a Smart TV different to a normal set?

Can somebody explain to me the difference between a normal TV and a smart TV as they all seem the same to me??

A Smart tv gives everything a standard tv does such as HD and 3D but they also give access to the internet. Most have a menu or button that gives you the online access, usually consisting of apps for Facebook, Twitter, Youtube etc. Older models needed an additional WiFi dongle while the newer versions have WiFi built in.

Apart from standard apps you get access to some catch-up TV content and downloadable games with a Smart TV. Smart TV's are made by most manufacturers such as LG, Sony, Samsung and Panasonic.

The current problems with Smart TV's are the clunky interfaces, many lack keyboards so typing is s-l-o-w and many cannot access the same streaming content you can find on a PC as broadcasters block it. Soon all televisions will be 'smart', but right now manufacturers are sorting out the best interface and operating system to run them on. If you can it may be best to wait until later this year before buying..

Hope that helps..
    Live Long, watch TV and prosper

So i got a smart TV. A 3D smart TV at that. But the thing is that a smart TV never really gets used, by me anyway. And i will explain why.

To get to the smart features of my TV i have to press a special button which takes me to a page giving some catch-up TV websites and the LG app store. The problem is that the app store on LG, Samsung or any smart TV is complete pants when compared to Apples app store or the android playstore.
    Second problem is that you only get a limited selection of content as well as the rubbish apps. So many TV networks want to block streaming on a TV so you watch the live TV instead where advertising revenue makes more wonga.

I think smart television sets are pretty much doomed until we get a tv running on the android or apple os and the TV companies allow streaming to television sets with no restrictions.