Thread: Best supplier for 3d TV channels?

Best supplier for 3d TV channels?

Hey folks,

A quick question for you 3d experts out there! (well, 2 questions actually!).

I am thinking of getting a new 3d tv (well, I DEFFO am getting a new TV, just not 100% about the 3d bit yet!).

I was considering this TV,made by 'Manta' - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manta-LCD421...2615260&sr=8-1 BUT... I have not heard of Manta before... anyone got one? any good?

Also, I have been trying to figure out if I can actually get 3d TV in my area yet (can anyone? I find it all a bit confusing). I checked here: http://www.digitalchoices.co.uk/hd-t...e-checker.html and it seems to say I can get HD (up until now, I have been SD only, using an old crt (DEEP BOX!!!) tele in one room, and a 20" lcd in another!), BUT, that site doesn't mention anything about 3D TV availability. I also checked on http://www.freeview.co.uk/HD but again, that is just for HD (just freeview on that one!).

Are there any similar sites that let me check for 3D TV channels, based on my postcode? Does anyone have any recommendation of companies that have 3D channels as an option with their subscriptions? (I am mainly thinking of sport & movies).

Thanks in advance for your help

Mike A.

I have never heard of Manta and would assume they use the guts of another manufacturers TV (such as Toshiba or LG) then rebrand it. So long as it's a passive TV (you dont want to be changing batteries or paying 80 for a new pair) then your good to go.

I would also make sure i had a couple of years extended warranty if it were me.

When it comes to 3D your only real option is Sky3D. I know Freeview have dabbled in 3D, but they have no dedicated channel that i know of. Sky have 3D movies and shows on everyday, so you either use Sky or have to buy lots of Blu-Rays at 20 a pop.

Also the 3D is not dependent on your area unless your depending on Freeview. And i dont think their standard signal covers the whole UK yet, so god only knows when the 3D will come.

Thanks for the reply.

I will do some digging into the Manta brand, so there are some pretty cheap deals, but I am worried about build quality... Hopefully I can find out who 'really' makes the guts of their TV's, as you say!!!

Re: your answers about 3D, thanks, that has cleared things up a fair bit for me

Quote Originally Posted by shafty View Post
    I have never heard of Manta and would assume they use the guts of another manufacturers TV (such as Toshiba or LG) then rebrand it. So long as it's a passive TV (you dont want to be changing batteries or paying 80 for a new pair) then your good to go.

I would also make sure i had a couple of years extended warranty if it were me.

When it comes to 3D your only real option is Sky3D. I know Freeview have dabbled in 3D, but they have no dedicated channel that i know of. Sky have 3D movies and shows on everyday, so you either use Sky or have to buy lots of Blu-Rays at 20 a pop.

Also the 3D is not dependent on your area unless your depending on Freeview. And i dont think their standard signal covers the whole UK yet, so god only knows when the 3D will come.

Trouble is the 3d is still new, eventually more programs will appear, it's like Sky HD, not a huge amount avaliable, now a load...

I would wait and see what happens, Sky is very expensive for the amount of repeats they have, I posted a blog about Toshiba Glasses FREE TV on one of my sites.

If I had the dosh, i would wait, i dont like the Joe Nintey glasses (they make you look like a wally)