Thread: Monitor bandwidth on iPad when streaming TV?

Monitor bandwidth on iPad when streaming TV?

I just wondered, does anyone know if there are any apps to monitor 3g/4g data usage on the iPad?

I am asking because I think that it may be easy to go over data usage when streaming, and I don't want any nasty surprises!

I have a 15gig monthly usage, so I am thinking a bit of streaming via 3g should be okay (maybe not iplayer tho... its way too hungry for my liking!).

Go to settings >General > Useage > Cellular useage

That will show the total gig used and you can reset to start again. If your paying monthly, then reset at the beginning of the month and you can see your useage ticking over. It will also tell you what has been sent and received so you know whats taking up all your bandwidth.

A word of warning though, dont use 3G for video unless you have deep pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by shafty View Post
    Go to settings >General > Useage > Cellular useage

That will show the total gig used and you can reset to start again. If your paying monthly, then reset at the beginning of the month and you can see your useage ticking over. It will also tell you what has been sent and received so you know whats taking up all your bandwidth.

A word of warning though, dont use 3G for video unless you have deep pockets.
    Great! Thanks

I know what you mean about 3G for video... but I have 15gig monthly allowance, so I think it will allow a few goes at streaming... although I know the Beeb's streaming services are pretty bandwidth heavy, so thanks for the warning!

In my experience, 3G and streaming go together like ham and custard. It is way too slow and only really to be used if your desperate. Either download video to your mobile device or wait for a Wi-Fi connection imo.
    Live Long, watch TV and prosper