Thread: Netflix Bandwidth cutting. Will it result in low quality video?

Netflix Bandwidth cutting. Will it result in low quality video?

So Netflix are cutting down on the bandwidth they use for streaming movies.

Netflix have lowered bandwidth useage for Canadian streaming service by 66%, they say that it will have minimal impact on image quality. Subscribers are now able to control the video quality and users should be better off by using less of their data allowance for the streaming service.
    Netflix Bandwidth cut In Canada

But how can they lower bandwidth needed and keep quality??

I think that it is a necessary evil. As more people watch streaming and more companies introduce bandwidth capping there has to be a compromise.

I think its only a matter of time before it comes to the US. So long as you hardly notice as they say then should be ok.
    Live Long, watch TV and prosper

Yeah i was still wondering that why they did such a big cut for bandwidth.

Quote Originally Posted by alisha View Post
    Yeah i was still wondering that why they did such a big cut for bandwidth.
    Its simple. Lower bandwidth equals lower size of file. Netflix save money sending the stream, and customers will save money (if they are capped) and it should lead to quicker streaming and less buffering
    Live Long, watch TV and prosper

Mementomm
    It seems to me that we are going backwards. Instead of a nice HD stream, i have to watch a cut doen, lower-res version just to keep the bandwidth low. Its all horseshit

Even if they do cut some of it, they are still using up 1/5th of all the bandwidth in North America. Look at these statistics found by research company Sandvine:

http://www.worldtvpc.com/blog/netfli...net-dominance/

As far as im concerned, what is the point of watching tv online if you have to put up with blocky lores streaming???

There is a reason everyone buys HDTV so why go backwards?

People who have poor Internet connections are going to have a long wait anyway, on my computer it would have to be an audio slideshow sometimes if it were to keep up....

I agree that this is not such a good idea. Thanks for sharing this thread here at http://www.worldtvpc.com

Visitors found this page by searching for:

netflix canada resolution

netflix low resolution

netflix low bandwidth streaming

netflix resolution canada

netflix poor quality

netflix low quality

netflix low bandwidth

low bandwidth internet tv

low bandwidth online tvnetflix bad qualitylow bandwidth netflixnetflix canada bad resolutionnetflix low quality videonetflix quality poornetflix lower bandwidthnetflix resolutionnetflix bad resolutionlower netflix bandwidthnetflix video quality lowinternet t.v. poor qualitypoor resolution on netflixlower quality video less bandwidthpoor netflix qualitynetflix bad quality on tvnetflix low video quality