Roku Rocked By Youtube Removal

Roku users who are looking to use the ‘unofficial’ Youtube channel have had access blocked by Google, until a deal can be negotiated with the set-top box company.

Roku not getting any Youtube lovin

Roku has never had an official Youtube channel for streaming video onto tv, but there was an unofficial channel set up as a workaround.Viewers had to add the channel by entering a code into the device.

Although Roku were aware of it’s existence, it was allowed to carry on streaming until Youtube found out about it. Now the video giant has put the kaboosh on the channel.

Now viewers are met with this message when looking to Youtube:-

“At the request of YouTube, this private channel is no longer available on Roku. To remove the channel, please go to “My Channels” in the Channel Store.”

So why the problem over a video streaming service that is available on every device known to man? It seems that Roku could not meet Google’s specs for adding the channel. The unofficial channel used MP4 streaming and it seems that some advertising was not being shown. Seems this is againt Google terms, hence the takedown.

But behind the scenes Roku are said to be negotiating to get Youtube streaming back. It does appear that if you already have the channel set-up it will continue to work. But new users are now blocked.

It seems to be a storm in a teacup and will probably be resolved soon. And of course you can still get a Youtube fix from any other device you have.

Latest TV searches:

youtube on roku, roku youtube code, youtube roku code, youtube roku, youtube code for roku, roku youtube channel

12 Comments

1. Clint
    Clint April 24, 2011 at 2:11 am

Seems a bit harsh. I’m sure Roku will do what they want it’s an important part of the Roku device. People love to watch You Tube on it and like you said, it’s on every device known to man so it should be fixed soon. But then again, don’t mess with their ads — hammer time….

2. Roku Loses Unofficial YouTube Channel | Video Streaming Review

[...] via WorldTVPC.com [...]

3. benz
    benz April 30, 2011 at 11:21 pm

hopefully youtube becomes official on the roku channel… just like boxee and the other media

4. RenoDavid
    RenoDavid May 11, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Well, I don’t see any ads on the Apple TV’s youtube channel. The Roku channel is cool because you can see stuff that seems to be blocked on the Apple device.

5. Justin Germino
    Justin Germino August 23, 2011 at 11:13 am

Ouch, this is a serious flaw and a YouTube channel should be standard. There is just too much content on YouTube for it not to be a negotiated channel.

6. Rob
    Rob August 25, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Sad such greedy bastards take anything nice and try to money grub…

7. Michael
    Michael December 29, 2011 at 4:43 am

As everyone including the writer of article pointed out YouTube is on EVERY device under the sun. And yet the number one streaming player adopted by so many,and publicized too the point that I finally heard about, was somehow overlooked!?
    And over a year later, still no offical YouTube channel, while two private entities have replace the unofficial channel with there own unofficial versions. It’s not a surprise that multiple fans aday comment on Roku’s wall , but it is amazing that the sponsors of google’s ads havn’t demanded that Google open up yet another source of ad revenue, that the 500+ channels have already figured out.

8. Mike
    Mike January 21, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I don’t get it. How can YouTube block their content from anything, SINCE THEY’VE MADE IT PUBLICLY AVAILABLE ON THE INTERNET? What’s next, blocking certain web browsers?

Also, doesn’t YouTube host all kinds of pirated content? So, Google, provider of illegal content, is threatening legal action against others for streaming their content? Oh the irony! Google is behaving more like an old media dinosaur (ABC, CBS, NBC) and less like a forward-thinking new media outlet. On top of it all, Roku has been very coy and deceptive with customers about the prospect of ever getting a YT channel. Frustrating all around.

9. OopsIDidItAgain
    OopsIDidItAgain February 18, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Until they get Youtube, I am not getting a Roku. Period!!!

10. Skippy Skipbo
    Skippy Skipbo February 28, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I bought the cheapo RCA streaming player and it has youtube on it, so there is no excuse for Roku not to have it.

11. Haze
    Haze April 7, 2012 at 9:18 am

I get YouTube on my Roku through MobileTribe. The only down side is there’s a $2.99 a month fee. I pay it although I’d rather not. But until Roku can get a deal with YouTube it’s the only way to get YouTube on Roku.

12. Don
    Don May 4, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I was wandering if anyone has had problems with the Mobiletribe. I recently joined for $2.99 and everything seems to be working fine,except for Youtube.When I go into Youtube I can do most functions
    except view my own videos. When I push the my video icon it pops me back out to the Mobiletribe app. The first night I used it I could see my videos,after that could not.Could someone in Youtube be blocking that feature. I have emailed Mobiletribe tech support, but know answer back so far.Anyone could help,would be great